Success does not come to you by accident, it takes commitment and plain old-fashioned hard work.
You must make a plan and then stick to it – and that is the hardest part. The best part is that once you begin, you will find that the results will start coming almost at once. The real secret is that success attracts more success.
Here are some handy pointers to help you find your success:
- 1. Positive self-esteem is the foundation for success. Feel good about yourself and your abilities, achievements and potential. Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Remind and praise yourself on your past accomplishments. Congratulate yourself for taking positive steps toward a more successful future
- 2. Look in the mirror – the person staring back at you is the only person responsible for your success. Smile! No one else is the cause of your success or to blame for your mistakes. Successful people take full responsibility for their actions.
- 3. Smile back at your reflection. Successful people are cheerful, optimistic, and forward thinking. If you think you don’t have anything to smile about, smile anyway. Positive thoughts drive out negative thoughts. It’s hard to have a negative thought while you are smiling!
- 4. Believe in yourself. You are here for a purpose. God doesn’t make extras just to fill in the scenery. Find your mission and begin working to fulfill it.
- 5. Desire to be a success. Decide right now that you will be successful. Commit to being successful.
- 6. Mix with successful people. Do what they do. When faced with choices, make choices a successful person would make. Blow your bonus check on a gambling trip or invest it?
- 7. Avoid unsuccessful people. Do not under any circumstances associate with negative people. Negative people are toxic; they destroy, they do not build. The odds are they will pull you down faster than you can lift them up. You can choose to stay away from all the negative people in your life. Avoid all the whiners, complainers, blamers and thumb suckers.
- 8. Do what you are best at and what you get the most satisfaction from. There is no reason to stay stuck doing things that are frustrating, boring, unhealthy, unproductive, demeaning or unfulfilling.
- 9. Write down your vision of how you want to live your life. Be specific. Where you want to live, what kind of carpet, who your friends are, the pony’s name, etc. Make a Future Scrapbook; paste in pictures, drawings, essays, clippings. Make up news headlines about your achievements. Every day visualize yourself as you would like to be – and then act that way!
- 10. Write down your biggest goal, the one you most want to fulfill. Write it in the present tense, “I am…”, “I have…”, “I contribute…”. Success is the result of a personal decision, so start your goal with “I”. Read your goal aloud every morning and night. Tell people your goal. Make a plan to achieve your goal and stick to it.
- 11. Study the science of success. Read books, listen to tapes, watch videos and positive TV programming. Talk to successful people and ask them how they became successful. Fill your mind with positive thoughts and give yourself positive self-affirmations.
- 12. Every day do something that brings you closer to your goal. Never give up. You can only fail if you quit trying. Keep on keeping on and you will succeed. Achieving success requires following a system.
Everyone will at some time in their life experience fear of failure, uncertainty, insecurity, low self-esteem, indecision, depression, nervousness and embarrassment. Successful people overcome these temporary setbacks by taking positive action, by sticking to their plan, by maintaining their vision of the future and by rededicating themselves to the pursuit of their mission and you can do it too.